Anyway, to the post. When it comes to my home brewing, I like to mess around with yeast strains rather than sticking to something like Safale-04, as well as coming up with recipes on a whim. So it was, on Saturday that I decided to pop down to Fifth Season Gardening to get some hops, some specialty grain and a packet of yeast in order to use up a couple of pounds of light malt extract I had knocking about.
The recipe ended up being:
- 2lb light dry malt extract
- 0.5lb American Caramel 120
- 0.5oz EKG boiled for 60 minutes
- 0.25oz EKG boiled for 15 minutes
- 0.25oz EKG boiled for 5 minutes
- Wyeast 1187 Ringwood Ale
This is my first attempt at a best bitter, and given the combination of Goldings hops and the Ringwood ale yeast, I am calling it Ring of Gold.