- Central VA - Devils Backbone Meadow Bier
- Rest of VA - Port City Downright Pilsner
- Rest of US - Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest
- Rest of World - Harviestoun Bitter & Twisted
- Honorable mentions - Champion Shower Beer, South Street My Personal Helles, Three Notch'd Road Soda, Cromarty Brewing Happy Chappy, Fyne Ales Jarl, West St Mungo Lager, Timothy Taylor Landlord, Fuller's London Pride (cask)
Four superb beers, it really is difficult to single one out, but making this list 5 times in a row, winning gold at the Virginia Craft Brewers Cup for the Pilsner style, and being the perfect expression of the simple delight of well made lager, Port City Downright Pilsner it is.
- Central VA - South Street Satan's Pony
- Rest of VA - Port City Oktoberfest
- Rest of US - River Rat Broad River Red Ale
- Rest of World - Isle of Skye Red
- Honorable mentions - Cromarty Brewing Red Rocker, Schlenkerla Märzen, Adnams Broadside, Fullers 1845, Fallen Brewing Dragonfly
Another 4 excellent brews, but this time the winner is easy to pick out. Isle of Skye Red Ale gets the nod, and if you're ever in the north west of Scotland and see it on cask, be sure to try it, and if you can get a dish of langoustines at the same time even better!
- Central VA - Three Notch'd Oats McGoats
- Rest of VA - Port City Porter
- Rest of US - Firestone Walker Velvet Merlin
- Rest of World - Cairngorm Brewery Black Gold
- Honorable mentions - Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter, Fullers London Porter, Guinness Original,
It probably comes as no surprise then that my dark beer of the year is Cairngorm Black Gold, the name says it all.
Fuggled Beer of the Year
Picking a single beer of the year from my three winners is pretty difficult, but the winner is the one which was an integral part of a night a great drinking, in a great bar, surrounded by great people, and lots of craic. I refer of course to that night in Glencoe, fuelled by beer and the occasional drop of Talisker and Balvenie.
Congratulations to Cairngorm Brewery, Black Gold is the Fuggled Beer of 2016.
- Central VA - South Street Brewery
- Rest of VA - Port City Brewing
- Rest of US - Sierra Nevada Brewing
- Rest of World - Fullers
- Honorable mentions - Guinness, Three Notch'd,
Mainly because I drink there so damned often, and they are brewing a beer that I can happily drink lots of and not grow tired of it, the Fuggled Brewery of the Year for 2016 is South Street Brewery - well done Mitch and crew, keep doing what you're doing, and keep brewing My Personal Helles!